Historic 5th Street School
Were it not for George Garlock, AIA, the Las Vegas Chapter would not be settling into our beautiful new offices in the Historic Fifth Street School and preparing to launch a great new era for our members. At George’s recommendation the City of Las Vegas invited the local AIA Chapter to be a tenant in the historic property along with the Nevada School for the Arts, the UNLV Downtown Design Studios, and the City of Las Vegas Cultural Affairs offices. KGA Architecture was the firm selected to handle the renovation project and to work collaboratively with the Las Vegas Redevelopment Authority in restoring the school’s original architecture, and the adaptive re-use of the building.
Back in 1936 when the school was built, Las Vegas Boulevard was known as Fifth Street. So when the original architects, Orville L. Clark and George K. Thompson, designed and built the Mission/Spanish Revival-style building to serve as the city’s first permanent grammar school, it was named the “Fifth Street School”. After years of service it was closed in the late 60’s, and over the following years used by both Clark Country and the City of Las Vegas for municipal offices. In 1988 the building was finally added to the National Historic Register and with the completion of KGA’s renovation this year the school is now officially called the “Historic Fifth Street School”.
The original school consists of approximately 27,500 s.f. of space in multiple buildings connected by common roofs and breezeways. The primary goal of the project was to return the exterior of the structure to the same general appearance as its original 1936 design, but to incorporate the latest in technologies and materials and create interior spaces that are functional and meet tenant requirements as well as current building codes and design standards. New mechanical, electrical and plumbing equipment were incorporated into the plan and since the building is listed on the National Historic Register, the rehabilitation and adaptive reuse requirements, set by the U.S. Secretary of the Interior, had to be met.
The exterior of the building’s elements were rehabilitated to the original color and appearance, including the re-creation of the doors and windows and roof tiles that were adapted to utilize contemporary materials, including low-energy glass, modern locking hardware, etc. In addition, modifications were made to comply with current structural, life safety, ADA and other code and regulation requirements.
We thank KGA Architecture and the City’s Redevelopment Office for providing our community with a beautiful, historic and cultural treasure.
Many of the common areas of the Historic Fifth Street School are available for public or private functions. These areas include a multi-purpose performance area/auditorium capable of accommodating up to 400 people, a gallery space for exhibitions and smaller meetings able to hold up to 200 people and a 30-person conference room. In addition, there are open courtyards available for outside activities, as well as the 16,000-square-foot Centennial Plaza that can be used for outdoor gatherings.
Historic Fifth Street School
401 S. Fourth St.
Las Vegas, NV 89101
Phone: (702) 229-6469
Brian Kendall - E-mail
Historical Fifth Street School Rental Brochure
To receive more information on renting the Historic Fifth Street School for your private event, click here.